Coming Soon: Card Designer

Very soon is the best that I can do, I’m afraid. I’m right now taking advantage of some improvements in 3.3 that I decided I can’t live without. That’s pushed me back maybe 3-4 days.

In the meantime be sure to put your email address here to receive a notice when it’s ready.

4 Likes

@Whittfield
This is brilliant… Take my money already!!

And to all developers, keep the cool and well needed brics coming! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @Whittfield

Any news on possible release date ?

Thanks
MDS

Hi again,

I’ve decided to release Card Designer here first in the forum before releasing it to the Blocs store soon.

Grab a copy.

Updated documentation.

7 Likes

Awesome…can’t wait to play with it and see what I can create…thanks for your hard work, and including excellent documentation to support this bric! :+1:

1 Like

Purchased!

I’d like to print out the instructions so I have them to hand. The PDF is downloading as a single page document - is that intentional?

1 Like

Hi, welcome aboard @sim :blush:
The docs are actually an Evernote document exported as .pdf —I really didn’t notice I was so happy with the formatting, but I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks Whittfield. i have been waiting for someone to make this.
I just bought it, but I cannot scroll down enough to see the whole “caption” menu
I see “Top line” and “Title” in the menu options but cannot scroll down further.

All the other menu options have a little triangle to be able to collapse the section, but yours has numbers so I cant even collapse them to make space. Am I missing something ?

Hi @pjmc,
Card Designer requires version 3.3 or greater. Have you updated yet?

yes. 3.3.0. On your video I see you are scrolling the menu up and down. how are you doing it ?

Great! I asked because there was a bug related to that very thing in versions prior to 3.3

As for the scrolling, this is the same throughout Blocs as you select certain elements on the page. If you hadn’t noticed you could be in for a treat😊

While the pointer is hovering over the sidebar…

1. If you have Apple’s Magic Mouse you simply scroll using your finger in the surface of the mouse.

2. If using a trackpad you use hold two fingers on track pad and move them together up or down.

3. If you have some other mouse type there’s probably a scroll feature on there. Basically this is required to see all the options in some areas in Blocs, not just Card Designer.

Hope this helps!

I use a Wacom Pen tablet. Never had any issue before. It would be better to have collapsable sections instead of numbers, like the rest of the Blocs interface.

@Norm here’s a +1 for the collapsable sections!

@pjmc that’s not something that we (as Developers) can implement. The suggestion has been made though. But it’s worth noting that although a vast improvement, it wouldn’t necessarily eliminate the need for scrolling, just compliment it greatly.

Blocs right sidebar doesn’t have a scrollbar at all, but the native controls do have collapsable sections. If even 1 of them is expanded however, I have to scroll to see through them all. You’ll see this same behavior in the layer tree on the left accept there is a scrollbar.

I’m guessing Norm never really considered Pen tablet only as the primary nav device.

Also it’s worth noting this is the largest set of options in a custom bric ever. So this could motivate such an accommodation, but I couldn’t say for sure or when. It’s totally out of my hands.

I do a lot of design work and Wacom pen is the only tool I ever needed (like lots of designers)… until now.
I cannot use your excellent bloc because half of it isn’t accessible to me. Buying a touchpad means dropping the pen just to navigate a menu which will get very annoying.
Most serious designers use Wacom. We either need collapsable sections (as the rest of the interface) or a scroll bar on the side. I have used Blocs for two or so years without ever noticing this as an issue, but as it is I cant use it.

I understand your viewpoint. My background is in photography and I’ve often felt that using a mouse is a bit like a soap on a rope compared to a Wacom tablet, especially in apps like Photoshop.

Nevertheless, I no longer find the Wacom particularly adapted to web design and it was the same when working with Rapidweaver. There may well be areas that Norm could alter to make Blocs more pen tablet friendly, such as the stylus canvass controls in the preferences, but overall I just think a mouse works better in this instance.

I use 3D apps like Cinema4D, Photoshop, Quark, Autocad, Solidworks, illustrator. I never needed to switch to a mouse even in 3D apps with far more complicated interfaces, Indeed i only noticed this issue in the card designer block for the first time. it is a UI issue and needs a simple scroll bar.

My daughter works in games development with Maya as a 3D animator and always uses a two button mouse, though she uses a Wacom more generally for other purposes.

To an extent, I just think these things are down to issues of habit. I know I would kick and curse if trying to use a mouse with a pen tool in Photoshop, but it honestly doesn’t bother me in Blocs. In any case, this really needs to be addressed with Norm, rather than any brics developer.

1 Like

As a stopgap, I installed Air keyboard on my phone to do a two fingered scroll, just for your menu. I hope that gets sorted out.

some issues
In a browser, the cursor doesn’t change to a finger over the button as it does with all the other Blocs buttons. This isn’t ideal for users. Tested in Safari and Chrome

If I set the text to the top position, it moves to the top. If I then change it to middle or bottom, it stays at the top and wont move again. It only moves if I go to the Hover option.

In the url section, there should be an option for “page” and not just a full url with a Http. This is a potential nightmare when I upload the site with many of these that will need to be hand changed, especially during development.

The cards don’t render properly in Solis.

for some reason, using a goole font, the description text was so tiny it was unreadable. There are no controls for the size of the description text so I couldn’t change it. Had to delete the card and begin again. not sure why that happened.

Hi @pjmc,

In a browser, the cursor doesn’t change to a finger over the button as it does with all the other Blocs buttons. This isn’t ideal for users. Tested in Safari and Chrome

You won’t see the finger cursor until you’ve added an actual URL. It’s designed that way to allow users can create cards without links quite easily. A card with no links shouldn’t have a finger pointer is what I’ve solved for. Buttons always have a finger btw, because buttons should always be linked.

If I set the text to the top position, it moves to the top. If I then change it to middle or bottom, it stays at the top and wont move again. It only moves if I go to the Hover option.

I could not reproduce this behavior, and it hasn’t been reported by anyone else so I think it’s user error rather than a bug (If so of course I’ll fix). Try making a very simple card with an image and title. Next try new positions. This will ensure that you have the proper card selected and that things are working at a minimal for you. Always double check that the card is selected. Even if that means selecting it again just in case. That would be a Blocs quirk, not Card Designer.

In the url section, there should be an option for “page” and not just a full url with a Http. This is a potential nightmare when I upload the site with many of these that will need to be hand changed, especially during development.

It’s in the works. I tried adding the Page Selector originally, but getting it to work while also giving folks a way to write custom urls did not work well. So I had to choose one and custom urls make more sense in that case. No estimates on when it will arrive, but it’s definitely something I plan to address one way or another.

The cards don’t render properly in Solis.

I don’t use Solis, do any other custom brics that change DOM elements work there? I’ll give it a look and ask Norm about it.

for some reason, using a goole font, the description text was so tiny it was unreadable. There are no controls for the size of the description text so I couldn’t change it. Had to delete the card and begin again. not sure why that happened.

With Card Designer is not meant to change the description font. This is purposeful. You choose the title font and the rest of the card uses a practical font that looks great on all devices. I’ll try to explain below…

With Card Designer you are creating something with a set of rules. It’s not really meant to be a free-for-all, it just has an incredible amount of options. I’m seeking balance to obtain a variation of Cards that do have some design rules incapsulated within the software. But it’s not just about aesthetics. The caption treatment is an important piece of the puzzle to achieve responsiveness and fit content in a card that may at some breakpoints be less than 300px wide.

By the way, you can use Card Designer’s fields how you need to. I’ve used the title field to add content with custom fonts while leaving the description field blank for instance.

1 Like

Thanks for the Comprehensive reply Whittfield. After working with it today, it is a really excellent addition so it is great you developed it.
For the text refusing to move back to the bottom, it is strange, if I preview it in a browser, is shows in the correct place. but in Blocs it shows it still at the top.

1 Like